Ian Whyte was born in Bangor, Wales and raised in Brighton, England, where he attended Dorothy Stringer High School. In 1990 he was awarded an athletic scholarship to play basketball at Iona College in New Rochelle, New York, where he stayed for two years. He transferred to Clarion University in Pennsylvania where he studied history and returned to England in 1994 to continue playing basketball in London. His no nonsense, sometimes rough approach to the game immediately caught the attention of the England coach, Laszlo Nemeth and in 1994 he received the first of 80 caps in a tempestuous career that spanned nine years.
During that time Ian played for clubs in France, Portugal, Belgium and Greece, before settling back in England to play for the Newcastle Eagles, where he finished his career.
In 2003 Ian was approached to cast for the role of the giant, fearsome, iconic, extra terrestrial killer; The Predator in Paul W .S. Anderson’s film; Alien Vs. Predator, spawned from Fox’s twin Sci Fi horror genres, Alien and Predator. For his next film, Ian went to completely the other end of the spectrum to explore his feminine side as an 8′ 6″ tall witch in Mike Newell’s glorious Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.
Ian has since reprised the role of the Predator in an AvP sequel and continues to work on a number of projects in various fearsome guises.
Ian is a student of the Zheng Dao Lo system of Chinese martial arts, incorporating Tai Chi, Ba Gua, Wing Chun and Chinese style kick boxing amongst others. Ian is married and lives in North East England.
- Former United Kingdom professional basketball player.
- Had a hard time dealing with the weight of the Predator makeup when he went in for the first costume test for Alien Vs. Predator. Therefore, he devised a method of building muscle where he would stuff a vest with rocks and jog regularly for a few weeks. When he went back in for the second costume test, he was stronger and able to carry the weight of the outfit better.
- Other than in wide-shots when stand-ins were used, Ian portrays every Predator seen in Alien Vs. Predator.
- Doubled for Frances de la Tour as Madame Maxime in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. In order to get his movements and body language correct, Frances would work with Ian on a regular basis, and would often watch him on set when he doubled for her.
- Graduated from Henry Hudson Regional High School (Highlands, New Jersey) in 1990.
- Brought to the US by Coach Vinnie Whitehead for his senior year of high school. Ian played basketball for Henry Hudson Regional High School (Highlands, New Jersey), coached by Whitehead, during the 1989-1990 season.
The Fellsman is a high level traverse covering more than 60 miles over very hard rugged moorland. The event climbs over 11,000 feet in its path from Ingleton to Threshfield in the Yorkshire Dales.
Most of the route is over privately owned land, the use of which is secured by the organisers for the weekend only. This being the case, the route does not follow well defined footpaths, so the entrants’ navigational skills with a map and compass are tested as well as their physical fitness. Because of this only fit and experienced walkers should enter.